Pongal Festival » History of Pongal
» Moong Daal 1 cup
» Rice 1 cup
» Cashewnuts 10-12 no
» Cumin Seeds, Pepper Powder 1 tsp each
» Chopped Green Chilli 3-4 no (depending on size and taste)
» Dry Coconut Flakes 2 tbsp
» Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
» Salt to taste
» Water 3 to 3 1/2 cups
1. Take a cooker and heat two tbsp of oil in it.
2. Wash moong daal and the rice and keep it separately.
3. Roast cashew in the oil and keep aside.
4. Now, add mustard seeds and cummin seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add green chilli and fry for a few seconds.
6. Now, add the moong daal and fry for a minute.
7. Add water and the washed rice.
8. Also add coconut, salt and turmeric powder.
9. Close the cooker and allow it to whistle thrice.
10. After the cooker cools down, add the pepper powder, cashews and chopped cilantro leaves.
Note: You can use ghee instead of oil. Ghee gives a better taste.
|Copyright © Society for the Confluence of Festivals in India (SCFI). All Rights Reserved|